So, you’ve either booked a headshot session with a photographer or perhaps you are still shopping around. You probably have a ton of questions. Check out the “What is a headshot?” post to answer some general questions.
Next, these headshot tips and tricks will help prepare you for your session. They answer some common questions about what to wear and what not to wear for your headshot session and offer general tips to guarantee you’re ready.
First, let’s take a quick look at a few things you should do leading up to your session. This timeline will help you prepare ahead of time, so your session day can be more relaxed and enjoyable. Your needs might differ but these guidelines should point you in the right direction!
Three Days Before
- Familiarize yourself with your session location, the route you will take to get there, and the amount of time it will take you to travel.
- Ensure your clothing is prepared, cleaned, free of wrinkles, and ready-to-go. Prepare several extra outfits – more than you will need for your session.
- Do any necessary hair trimming and shave any sensitive areas. Pluck or wax unwanted eyebrow hair.
One-Two Days Before
- Eat, drink, and be healthy.
- Stay away from salty, sugary, fatty, greasy, or unhealthy foods.
- Avoid heavy exposure to the sun. Do not tan or use spray tan.
- Avoid alcohol or any foods that will make you puffy or bloated.
- Gather the items you will need for your session the night before your shoot.
- Review your directions and check your wardrobe one more time!
The Morning of Your Session
- Eat a light meal before your session. Don’t skip meals!
- Bring a bottle of water and a light snack in case you need to recharge.
- Triple check that you’ve packed and loaded everything you might need for your session.
- Don’t forget to include any fashion, makeup, or style accessories that you want to include!
- Leave early and be sure to arrive on time for your session.